I Love to See the Temple!

I Love to See the Temple!
Of all the places the Gadd Family goes, the temple is the most important. Click on the picture to read one woman's feelings about the temple. Her testimony expresses perfectly the way our own family feels about the temple. We are excited to have one of God's holy houses so close to our own!

December 14, 2008

Good thing I'm not a goat!

Well, I now have 3 weeks and 2 days left in this pregnancy, less if I have any say in the matter. (It is my body after all) I just had to share my thoughts on how amazed I am at people's ignorance and non-consideration for the delicate emotional state a woman is in during her last month of pregnancy. After almost a full nine months of having your body no longer just be hers, and having absolutely nothing physically, emotionally, or mentally function correctly she's bound to lose it at any moment. And still people feel it is okay to offer up unsolicited advice on very personal matters.

This week at my doctor's appointment I practiced self-control like I've never practiced it before. The doctor, who I know is one person who has the right to give me his oppinion, was discussing breast feeding my baby after he is born. I proceeded to tell him that I choose not to breast feed my babies due to the fact that I don't produce enough milk. I figure this is enough information to offer up on a personal matter and it should be left at that.

He proceeds to tell me that it would be beneficial for me to feed the baby as much I can and then supplement with bottle feeding. (Easy for him to say, for anyone who hasn't done this before, it literally takes hours. He also seems to have forgotten I have already done this twice and know what works for me). He then jumps into a shpeel about how important colostrum is for the baby, and informs me of a certain species of GOATS who's babies will die if they do not recieve the much needed colostrum from their mother right after birth.

It took every ounce of self control I had to not turn to him and say, "GOOD THING I'M NOT A GOAT!!!!"

Needless to say it was a rough day, and I am still not planning on breast feeding my baby!

10 comments:

Ricky and Emily said...

I love you Molly! I laughed out loud when I read this. I am so with you. Sometimes it is amazing what people have the nerve to say. Hang in there!!

Brooklynn said...

Congratulations Molly, I didn't know you were expecting, that's great. Sounds like you are at the tail end, just ignore that silly doctor, you know what is best for you and your baby.

Phyllis said...

Oh, Molly, you should have said it!

Also, in view of your emotional, delicate position, I fully retract any circumcision advice I have given.

; )

meagan said...

he definitely compares childbirth and child care to some interesting things for a doctor. what's strange, is that he has never asked me about breastfeeding. hopefully little Cooper (and little Seven) will get here soon and we'll be done with such frequent dr appointments!

The Jacobs Family said...

AAAHAHA! You are hilarious! You have way better self control than I do, I would have said it, and probably added a few profanities in there, too.

Erin said...

You totally should have said it and then just blamed it on the hormones. Is wouldn't have been your fault, would it?

Everyone needs to do what is best for them and their own families, and only you can truly know what is right for you. Don't feel bad about it. I didn't know you were due so soon! Good luck. Kow I love you and miss you, lady!

Wooden's said...

oh molly, i can not believe that, wait actually i can. You wouldn't believe some of the comments i got. you are doing great hang in there!! and you should have said that to the doctor or asked him if he has ever breast fed before haha!!

Our Family said...

You'll TOTALLY say it when you are pregnant with your FOURTH baby.

When I had Derick in January he ended up in the hospital at 12 days old for 5 days. He got RSV. I obediently nursed my three other babies for several months. I did not enjoy it and Brenner was my only decent nurser. (He hates me saying that.) But anyway...in the hospital with my sick baby who couldn't breathe the nurses kept telling me I should pump and save the milk. Then I wouldn't loose my milk production. I pumped once out of guilt, but then not again and that was that! No more nursing for me. For a month or so after that Derick wouldn't have been able to latch on anyway. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Team C said...

You should have looked at him and said meeeeeee. (insert goat sound) Big Dumb Doctor. What a man. (sorry for any who are offended by that comment)

Amanda XOX said...

Oh Molls. I miss you! I'm betting on a New Year's Day delivery. I hear you get all kinds of cool prizes from the hospital if your baby is the first born. Wouldn't a year supply of formula be awesome? Hang in there chica.